The Arab Riptide finished fifth overall in the District II swim meet last weekend at the Cullman Wellness and Aquatic Center and broke five team records in the process.
Maddie Nunley was part of four of the five, breaking individual records in the 11-12 age division in the 50-yard freestyle, 50 breaststroke and 50 butterfly. She came in first overall in the freestyle event and was followed in the race by teammates Sarah Sularin (second) and Julie Stapler (seventh).
Nunley finished second overall in the other two events.
She also was part of the 200 free relay team that broke a team mark and finished third overall. Other members of the team were Elizabeth Skidmore, Julie Stapler and Sarah Beth Sularin.
Also setting a new team record was the 8-under boys 100 free relay team of Bentley Bowling, Colt Yates, Braylen Wilson and Owen Lambert. They finished second overall.
The other first-place finisher was Anderly Shumate, who won the 9-10 50 freestyle. Sierra Brom finished sixth and Lauren Lambert seventh in the same event.
Other girls individual highlights included:
• Sierra Brom finishing eighth in 9-10 100 IM.
• Julia Scott finishing sixth in the 13-14 100 IM, sixth in the 50 backstroke and eighth in the 100 freestyle.
• Anderly Shumate finishing second and Jill Stapler third in the 9-10 100 freestyle. Shumate finished second and Stapler fourth in the 50 breaststroke.
• Jill Stapler finishing third in the 9-10 50 butterfly.
• Sarah Sularin finishing third in the 11-12 100 freestyle and fifth in the 50 backstroke.
• The 9-10 200 medley relay team of Sierra Brom, Anderly Shumate, Jill Stapler and Lauren Lambert finishing second. The same group finished third in the 200 freestyle relay.
• The 11-12 200 medley relay team of Sarah Sularin, Maddie Nunley, Carolina Justice and Julie Stapler finishing third. Sularin, Nunley, Stapler and Elizabeth Skidmore finished third in the 200 freestyle relay.
Boys individual highlights included:
• Heath Isom finishing fifth in the 100 freestyle and seventh in the 50 backstroke.
• Brody Franklin finishing seventh in the 9-10 50 breaststroke..
• Colby Franklin finishing fourth in the 13-14 50 breaststroke.
• Caleb Franklin finishing eighth in the 15-18 50 breaststroke.
• Bentley Bowling finishing sixth and Colt Yates eighth in the 8-under 100 IM.
• Owen Lambert finishing third, Bentley Bowling fifth and Braylen Wilson sixth in the 8-under 25 freestyle. Lambert finished third, Bowling fourth and Wilson sixth in the 50 freestyle. Lambert also finished sixth in the 25 backstroke.
In all, 17 Cullman Wellness and Aquatic Center pool records were broken in the district meet.
Arab will be sending 42 swimmers who will compete in 86 events at the state meet in Opelika on July 26-27. See the complete list below.