Not only did the Arab Riptide sweep Scottsboro and Decatur in its home-opening tri-meet last Thursday evening, the 15-18 boys 200-yard freestyle relay team broke the program record with a time of 1:43.22.
Members of the team are Will Compton, Caleb Franklin, Landon Stone and Heath Isom.
“It was an awesome race that had everyone cheering for them,” said Riptide coach Richard Moser. “It was amazing.”
It wasn’t the Riptide’s only highlight.
For the girls:
• Sierra Brom and Lauren Lambert finished 1-2 in the 9-10 100 IM; Brom finished first in the 50 backstroke.
• Maddie Nunley took first in 11-12 100 IM, 50 breaststroke and 50 butterfly.
• Anderly Shumate and Jill Stapler finished 1-2 in the 9-10 50 freestyle and 50 breaststroke; Stapler finished first in the 50 butterfly; Shumate and Kara Yates finished 1-2 in the 100 freestyle.
• Sarah Sularin finished first in the 11-12 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle; Sularin and Carolina Justice finished 1-2 in the 50 backstroke.
• Julia Scott finished first 13-14 50 butterfly.
For the boys:
• Bentley Bowling and Colt Yates finished 1-2 in 8U 100 IM and 25 breaststroke; Bowling and Brooks Bradley finished 1-2 in 24 butterfly.
• Brody Franklin and Owen Bell finished 1-2 in 9-10 100 IM; Franklin finished first in the 50 butterfly.
• Joshua Shumate finished first in 6U 25 freestyle and 25 backstroke.
• Owen Lambert finished first in 8U 25 freestyle and 50 freestyle.
• Heath Isom finished first in the 15-18 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle.
• Colby Franklin and Dylan Benefield finished 1-2 in 13-14 50 breaststroke and 100 freestyle.
• Caleb Franklin finished first in the 15-18 50 breaststroke.
• Sam Compton and Braden Pitt finished 1-2 in the 13-14 50 backstroke.
Several Arab relay teams finished first. Full results are available on the team’s website: arabswimteam.com; and on the Arab swim team’s Facebook page.
Coaches for the Riptide are Moser and Abigail Isom McDonald. Mary Shumate, wife of former coach Josh Shumate, is continuing to coach on a temporary basis during the transition from her husband to Moser.