Coach Richard Moser isn’t sure his swim team can duplicate what the Riptide accomplished two years ago at the state swim meet, but he’s confident nonetheless.
The 2019 team took first place in the medium team division at the ARPA State Swimming meet, which is being held this weekend (Friday and Saturday) at the Sand Mountain Park and Amphitheater in Albertville. There wasn’t a state meet last year because of the pandemic.
“We’re pretty excited about state in Albertville this year,” said Riptide coach Richard Moser. “This will be Shawn Flack’s last state meet ever – he’s 18. So we’re looking to send him out right.
“As a team, we should finish top 3 in the medium team division. We placed first last time, so we’re hoping to keep that going.”
The following swimmers made the team Arab is sending to the state meet:
• 15-18 boys free relay, Shawn Flack , Sam Compton, Tyler Flack and Colby Franklin
• 13-14 girls free relay, Carolina Justice, Kylie Yates, Elizabeth Skidmore and Maddie Nunley
• 11-12 girls, A relay: Sierra Brom, Bailee Parks, Lauren Lambert and Anderly Shumate
• 11-12 girls B relay: Kara Yates, Emma Garrison, Cassidy Justice and Jill Stapler
• 11-12 boys relay: James Beard, Benjamin Talkent, Brody Franklin and Hayden Williams
• 9-10 boys relay: Owen Lambert, Colt Yates, Jacob Franklin and Bentley Bowling
• 8-under girls relay: Ella Harris, Flora Yates, Eva Stone and Brooklyn Williams
• 8-under boys relay: Josh Shumate, Sam Lathan, Reed Payne and Reid Harper
• 11-12 girls 100 free: Sierra Brom, Anderly Shumate and Lauren Lambert
• 9-10 boys 100 free: Bentley Bowling and Owen Lambert
• 8-under girls 50 free: Brooklyn Williams
• 6-under girls: Harper Munoz
• 9-10 girls: Karington Harper
• 11-12 girls: Della Beard
There will be a $7 admission fee per day for spectators. Volunteers and athletes are free, and children under 5 are free. Bring cash, but there will be an ATM onsite.
There is no parking fee.
• AHS tryouts: Moser has announced tryouts for the Arab Knights swim team will be from 8-9:30 a.m. next Tuesday through Frida.
Tryouts are open to any swimmer in grades 7-12.