At a recent meeting of the Arab Historical Society, Doris Head and her son, Shannon, shared with members the history and some interesting facts about their family business, now known as Space Age Service Station and Mini Mall.
Shannon’s grandfather and Doris’ father-in-law, Ezell Head, opened the first store with Leo Terrell as co-owner. It was located on North Main Street between the Arab Church of Christ and the Arab Post Office.
Mr. Terrell left the business in 1945.
Ezell’s son, Glen, then joined his father. They built a new bigger store on the old U.S. 231 at Ruth Road, just west of the new U.S. 231.
Named “Head and Son Service Station,” the building still stands, but is used as a mini storage. It was the first gas station opened on U.S. 231 in the Arab area.
The store was also used as a voting precinct. After voting time ended, workers stayed most of the night counting votes. Retired men from the area would come to the store in the morning to play checkers and stay all day.
Cheese came in round hoops weighing more than 20 pounds. Bologna came in 10-pound rounds. They sliced and weighed what the customer wanted. Coffee was ground and perked all day. Meats and ice were kept in a freezer outside because there wasn’t space for it inside the store.
For more on this story please pick up a Tribune or purchase an e-edition.